Monday, February 25, 2008

Always MAMA Drama!


Ok, Bad Title. Not really about Mama Drama, more Soccer Drama! But I am always good for some Drama!
First, look how cute my little soccer player is!
Ok, So! we have our first soccer games saturday. Yippee, Mind you this is the team we got asked to play on, got uninvited to play on before it even started, then invited again. The Un-invitation was due to coach wanting a 7YO ringer team only. No young ones. Then, he said ok, ty can play. I bet he is biting his tongue now.
Back to my story - Saturday, our first game, we are all set, no uniform, but that's another story. So, game starts and tyler is benched. No problem, we are the new kid. 2nd period he goes in. Coach puts him in as goalie, so I thought. Then someone on the other team went to kick the ball in and, as goalie, TY catches it w/ his hands. Whistle blows. PENALTY. No hands! hello, he is the goalie. so one of the parents say, they don't have goalies, just "defender". what the heck is a defender? so the other team gets a one on one penalty shot. Ty is standing in the goal -kid kicks a perfect shot top left corner. IN! Ty tries to catch it w/ his hands. So I ask, "can he use his hands now? or is he suppose to just sit there and get hit in the face w/ the ball?" oh that's nice. no one knew the rule. SO, my kid that was asked to play, got kicked off the team,, then gets asked to play again, helped to lose the game. don't you think if they can't use their hands, you should tell them? he said he was never told, he thought he was goalie. so, who doesn't play w/ goalies? what kind of soccer is this? this is suppose to be a competitive team. Help me here
So, do I sit back and shut up? OR ask the coach about NC Soccer 101? Plus I would like to tell him, goalie/ defender, whatever, is not a good position for ty unless you want to help the other team score more. He is just not good there.
So, my advise, Save the Drama for your MAMA!

3 comments:

Karen said...

We played for BASYL this year and we don't have goalies either. With that said, we don't have anything called a defender either. We play 3 on 3 and the goal is open unless one of our players gets back in time to block the ball. I love that they there's only 6 players on the field at one time. It's easier for Shawn to get the ball and it's really helped him learn skills this year. At this age, they aren't keeping score yet so there's no loser. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation except to tell the coach he either needs to explain to Ty how to play that position or not to put him in that position. At this age, it should be fun not competitive, JMO.

Working Mama said...

It is so confusing for the kiddos, much less us Mommies, to keep up with all these rules!!! Hang in there!
Andrea

Melodie said...

Hi, Wendy. I don't know if you remember me or not, but I was in BAM with you shortly before you moved away.
Anyhow, my daughter Emily has played BAYSL soccer since she was 5 and on the U-5 team. They had what was called a "sweeper" who hung back and defended the goal, but without using his/her hands. Of course, the national soccer people change the rules all of the time. Emily played 4v4 in U-5, but Shawn is only playing 3v3. Also, when Emily was in U-6, U-7 had goalies, but when she played U-8 (she skipped U-7), they were back to no goalies.